[TowerTalk] Walking up aluminum towers...EASY

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Walking up aluminum towers...EASY
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 08:50:21 EDT
  Does this mean the tower is NOT meant to be climbed after
it is erected?  Anyone out there have one of their towers?  Experiences?
TNX / 73,
Barry - W1HFN

Actually walking it up can be difficult, but it can be made into a one man
job.  I pulled my 64 foot Heights tower to a vertical postion by simply
attaching a heavy rope about 4/5 of the way up the tower and attaching the
other end
to the trailer hitch on the pickup truck.  I walked the end up as far as I
could without getting a hernia and supported it with a sawhorse.  At this point
just pulled away with the truck and tightened the rope.  The tower was very
easy to raise with the truck now supporting it, so I raised it about another
ten
feet or so by hand and put the sawhorse under it again to support it.  By
this time the tower was at enough of an angle to be pulled into an upright
position by the truck.

It would have gone much faster if I had a second person to do the sawhorse
work.  But, in all it probably took about half an hour.....and the tower was
heavy for an aluminum one.........30 inch base tapering up to a 22 inch top
with
a rotor plate and a Tailtwister.

Mounting the antenna on this tower was a snap.......just haul it up the side
to the top.

I have used this method for several aluminum towers.

Bill K4XS