[TowerTalk] A warning about using tape to secure cable to the tower

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] A warning about using tape to secure cable to the tower
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 08:39:31 EDT
This works, but be careful.  If you place too many layers of tape, that are
stretched too tightly, they will have a tendency to crush foam coax over
time as the tape tries to return to its original length................W0UN

Another factor to consider, although I have never had this happen at my QTH,
is in very salty areas a lot of tape in one spot will allow salts and water to
build up and eventually rust out the vertical member.  I would not have
thought so until I had a chance to take a look at 300 feet of Rohn 55 that was
taken down.  The tower was located about a quarter mile from the Gulf of Mexico
and the top 60 feet was so badly rotted through at the places the tape was
heavily wrapped, they had to cut and crane them off.  All the other surfaces
either
had very light surface rust or none at all after 30 years.

Bill K4XS