Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Identification

To: "'Keith Dutson'" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Identification
From: NØTA -- Russ Kaelberer <n0ta@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:54:59 -0600
Hi Keith-by looking at the pics (good angles and views,) I am 99% sure you
have a BX-series tower (the first tower I put up (HDBX-48) in the
70s-remember it well) There are 8 sections that make up the BX, HBX (sort of
heavy duty), and the HDBX "extra heavy duty" tower line.
http://www.antennasystems.com/towers.html#BXTOWER Each section is tapered as
shown, and 8 feet long. A BX-64 was made by using a BX-1 thru BX-8 piece (8
sections), and has a 6 sq. ft. wind rating. Conversely, by using only the
largest 6 sections (BX-3 thru BX-8) you could assemble an HDBX-48 (18 sq.
ft. load.) http://www.antennasystems.com/bxload.html

By looking at your pictures, and the "scale" of the house, etc., in the
background, I would bet you have an HDBX-48. It's somewhat hard to see, but
I believe I see 6 sections (48 ft.,) which is relatively close to your 45'
estimate. By looking at your 413d image, you also have the tilting base, as
the bottom tower section is connected to the "chunk of pipe," and then
"inserted" into the square U shaped fitting, just above ground level. As you
view this picture, you would remove the bolts on the left leg of the tower,
and it would tilt over to the right (looks like just about parallel to the
long side of the back of the house) right into the tree with the red flowers
on it (SORRY). Unfortunately, the tree must have been added after the tower
went up, or the original installer didn?t understand how to orient the base,
to facilitate the easy tilt-up install.

I agree with Bob; the BX-series is somewhat difficult to climb and very
uncomfortable to remain stationary on, for any long period of time. I had an
original HyGain Hy-Quad, and nearly full size 40-meter dipole, with a 10'
mast on my version. (If anyone would like to model this, I would really like
to know if this combination should have worked ((I almost won the low-power
SS phone in 1976 with the dipole right in the middle of the quad!! I was
just a novice at antennas then!!))

I believe an A4, or other similar tribander would do just fine.  As far as
the rust goes, I will defer to the metal corrosion experts on the reflector
for their opinion.

BTW-by measuring the distance between the bolts on the lower section, you
can determine if you have the HD model or not.
http://www.antennasystems.com/bxcatalog.pdf  The HD section (bottom of 48'
footer) is 27.41". Anything narrower would mean a lower wind rating (a BX-48
would measure 21.89" and have only 6 sq. ft. of loading.) Although it
appears you can't tilt it over for removal, the sections are relatively
light. A modified gin-pole device would allow disassembly from the top down.
Due to the x-diagonal bracing, I would definitely take advantage of the
tilt-over ability, when reinstalling. I assembled mine on the ground, tilted
up enough to mount the quad, and had 3 guys walk up the tower, with a rope
tied behind us for stabilization, and a rope tied in the pulling direction,
to help with the load. Hope this helps. Sounds like the price is right.

73, Russ, WBØIWL - NØTA