Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Identification

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kdutson@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Identification
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:52:38 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/2005 7:39:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

>  A friend here recently purchased a home that has a free-standing tower with
a TV antenna on top.  It needs to be removed.  Please take a look at photos
on my web site:

>  http://www.dutson.net/transfer/HamRadio/FreeTower/

>  Does anyone know if this tower could be used for a moderate HF antenna?
Judging by the rust it has been up a long time.  Would it be worth the time
and trouble to refurbish?

    No. It's an old Rohn/Spaulding - probably 6 sections. Most likely a
BX-48. It's pretty light-duty and OLD.  Typically these are in pretty ratty
shape
and not worth the bother. I'm not even sure I'd climb it. You can just see the
bottom sections - they're the good ones. It's the ones at the top that are
usually in the worst shape.

    I'd walk away from it. Even if you put it back up, it's still an old
ratty tower underneath your rust removal and painting - a not insignificant
chore.
(Just for the galvanized spray paint you'll have to buy 12 cans and a cost of
about $84 plus tax. Put that eighty-four bucks into another tower. And don't
ask me how long getting all the rust off takes. It ain't worth it!)

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Cell: 206-890-4188