Re: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old

To: "'Wes Attaway (N5WA)'" <n5wa@sport.rr.com>, <k2qmf@juno.com>,<finger@goeaston.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:52:16 -0700
I used a Carolina beam (similar to the Carolina windom, but with the ends
turned down bobtail-curtain style) for a while and was very impressed with
it, but to the original question... Can you use a non-conductive standoff to
hold the antenna a few feet away from the tower, slide the antenna through
the standoff until the center insulator is maybe 10' or so away from the
tower and then bring the coax back to the tower at around 10' above
mid-height, and secure it from there on down?  You'd have less than half the
coax floating loose (and it would be away from the tower) and you could
still drop the thing down far enough that you could get at the feed point.
Of course you'd still have to climb a bit over half way up in order to
replace the coax, but it might last quite a few years that way.  If you have
a lot of wind you would want the best possible support at the feed point.
Someone mentioned bringing the coax back up over and securing to the
balun/center insulator so it is not supported by its attach point.  When I
was building crossed double bazookas I used to build the feed point inside a
PVC Tee with plugs on all the outlets (drilled for the coax of course) and
filled with silicon sealant.  I never had one fail and I'm still using one
that's been up over ten years now.  I must admit, however, we don't get high
winds here.   At the tower you might run the coax through a hunk of
appropriate diameter rubber hose to act as a strain relief.  Just some
thoughts.

73 - JC, khps@amsat.org