[TowerTalk] Re Railroad tracks

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re Railroad tracks
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:18:43 +0000
This question came up at some point in the past year on one of the broadcast
reflectors i look at.  There was some station down near the texas gulf coast
as i recall, that had a directional array along side a rail line, unused i
guess, and the consensus was to forget it.    The tracks went along
tangential to the radial fields, which i think is your situation also, and
most of your ground return and efficiency is controled by the amount of wire
you can get down on the ground as spokes all around your feedpoint within
1/4 to 1/2 wave from it.

I don't know anything about real estate law, but I would think that if I
were to tie the counterpoise to one of the tracks, I'd eventually wind up
getting a letter from a railroad lawyer, or worse....
Depending on how sophisticated the rail spur is, there might be signalling
current on the rails or a connection between both of them might trigger a
crossing gate.

rob/k5uj