Re: [TowerTalk] ground radials and railroad tracks

To: "k0dan" <k0dan@comcast.net>,"Richard W. Harris" <Richard_Harris@byu.edu>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground radials and railroad tracks
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:12:56 -0400
I wouldn't make a connection to the tracks or mess with them
in any way. They don't belong to anyone BUT the RR, no
matter what we might want to think.

Rails are used to complete signal paths of "where the train
is at", the rail continuity is also monitored for breaks.
Aside from not belonging to person who would make the
illegal electrical connection to the rails wouldn't it be a
shame if they thought it messed up signaling, right or
wrong,  and there was a train wreck?

It very clearly isn't the property of anyone owning land
around the rails. I have a pipeline crossing my property on
an easement, and it is exactly like Colonial Pipeline owns
that land. They certainly own their property within that
easement if the pipes are being used or NOT being used.

There is absolutely no significant or probably even a
noticeable electrical advantage at all to connecting to a
pair of rails.  There's a significant liability for messing
with them.

73, Tom W8JI