Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Size for 800 meter longwire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Size for 800 meter longwire
From: Bgsalesmel@cs.com
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:20:26 EDT
Had another thought...yes, I know, that dangrous...at my age...hi,hi.

He has 70ft of "down" from his QTH.
He has the "seawater" down there at the bottom...someplace.
(Don't know what is involved in the "active wave zone" darn it... Rocks,
rapid shelfing, wonderful white sand beach, Guano deposit?).
"Diameter of vertical ant member = wider bandwidth avail...maybe".

Maybe a model of a simple "Z" shaped vertical using some size of tubing with
a suitable ground system into the "water" zone might worth a little computer
time and yield a better station.????

I'm thinking of  a stout built mini tower at the upper "edge" supporting a
tapered (schedule?) tubing member which would be insulated from the tower
electrically or at least from that "ground" surface... Then a tubing run down
the
cliff stout enough to stand any blow Mother Nature cares to send his way...I
seem to recall a North Sea location... 100kts and 100ft seas are possible, been
there, done that, offshore.

According to distances involved from his operating position to this bottom
point, select the feedline best suited. I am thinking that this cliff face tube
would form the crossbar of the "Z" shape. According to where he had to put the
"tower" and pole section, it might even end up looking like a "double-Z"...?

Provide the suitable, optimal if possible, ground system at that point to
allow for max gain effect, etc.

Working on the cliff face in some sort of harness should be easier than
rowing across that inlet of his....until you have to climb back up, eh?

Wouldn't be the "long-long wire" he asked about, but it may give him a bigger
station signal, eh?

Mel Frost
KD7DCR
Coeur d'Alene, ID