[TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s -- What I do

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s -- What I do
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 03:56:56 +0000
I hate to be the doubting thomas but this method wouldn't seem to me to work
as well on all types of RG8 size feed, like the coax with the foil.  If I
understand it right, the jacket doesn't continue into the rear of the plug
-- i wonder about the physical strength of the union between the feed and
the plug.  Do you plug up the 4 holes that aren't soldered?  Is there any
problem with water getting into open holes if the connector is outside?
not trying to be too negative since I have not tried this method but just
have some questions thanks,

rob / k5uj

<<<The back of the PL259 body should rest on the fanned out shield.
Solder the center conductor.
Fan out the shield and cut it to 1/4" long and fold over the back of the
PL259.
Solder the shield all the way around to the back of the PL259 body.
While the back is still hot wrap 2 turns of 88 tape around the soldered
shield
to seal it good.>>>

trip!
http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline