Re: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:25:01 -0500
Hello Scott,

Here is one of the 50 responses - get one of the crimp devices,
described in QST several months ago, for PL259s.  .  Got one at
Dayton - works great.  Could not pull the cable from the connector
after the crimp even without the center conductor soldered to the
PL259's pin.  Purposely cut the outer cover far enough back so the
braid was exposed past the end of the PL259 before giving it the
"pull test".  Electrically, all the cable (RG213 and LMR400)
connections made by crimping standard PL259s have worked at 1500 W
RTTY.  Now I can confidently install a PL259 on the tower or in the
field with the crimper and a portable soldering iron (for the center pin).

Think the crimper cost ~$30.

At 01:21 PM 11/6/2006, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:
>ur problem is that the connector is so massive, it's sinking all the heat
>out of ur iron.  U need a lot of heat to quickly heat up the connector, and
>get the solder flowing and get off it before the dielectric melts and the
>center migrates.    Even a soldering gun isn't enough because the tip is so
>small relative to the connector, the connector sinks out the tip heat and
>the gun can't keep it hot.  You need something like either a Wahl 150 w.
>iron that has a big massive blade tip (like a big flathead screwdriver) or a
>small torch.  The prob. with the wahl iron is it costs around 100 bucks and
>takes about 30 min. to heat up and cool down.   I'd go to someplace like
>Lowe's and get a small hand torch.  Instant heat, right into the braid
>holes.   It may take a few tries to get the hang of it but after that it's
>fast.   Plus you can solder with it anywhere, even outside in cold wx.  The
>usual torch safety precautions apply.  You'll probably get 50 responses as
>everyone has their own way of doing this.  If ur uncomfortable with a torch,
>get a big watt iron (however not everyone sells them so they may be a bit
>hard to find).
>
>rob / k5uj
>
>p.s. another handy item to have is a small high speed fan or blower to put
>the connector in front of & get it cooled down real quick when ur done.
>

>***************************************
>
>I used to know how but lately I cant seem to get it.
>
>Using standard Soldering pen (you know the black with the long copper
>tip). Ive always
>tinned he braid.  Cut it with a tubing wheel and then strip and
>solder.  But for
>some reason this stuff isnt sticking.  Using silver ceramic connectors.
>Ive for almost all my 30 years been able to d a connector up right.
>Now I cannot.
>
>the Coax is RF Products 9913 double silver braid with foil under.
>
>HELP
>
>I have a Solder gun avail, but really hate to zap the coax braid and
>connector with that.
>
>Scotty W7PSK
>10-10 33700
>Everett, Washington
>Found on 14.070 or 28.120 PSK31 most times.

>Add a Yahoo! contact to Windows Live Messenger for a chance to win a free
>trip!
>http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline

         Mike, K4GMH