Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum radials was Re: Copper wire prices

To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum radials was Re: Copper wire prices
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:33:57 -0800
At 12:14 PM 11/21/2006, Donald Chester wrote:

> > >Spend more $$ on the front end and save much more on the back end.
> > >I'm pretty sure that aluminum house wiring is illegal most everywhere
> > >now....
>
>But if you could find a fairly large stash of old

(since they stopped using it, for all practical purposes, in 1972 or
thereabouts, old is the right term.. 30 years old)

>, unused aluminium house
>wire, with the insulation intact,

"intact insulation" may be incompatible with "30 yr old stash"

>  it would make good ground radials.  The
>plastic insulation would protect it from reaction with the soil.  And it
>would probably be cheap.

Probably.. Such stuff turns up all the time (and carrying a similar
idea forward.. you might be able to turn up a stash of old RG-58 or
RG-59 coax from Ethernet or Cable TV installations.....  There is
tons of this stuff being pulled out of buildings where they need the
room for new wiring, and since the copper content is small, it's not
always worth recycling.  Look for 10-15 year old light
industrial/office park places with a drop ceiling

Jim