Re: [TowerTalk] custom aluminum panels

To: "Jerrry BOYD" <exlasd@msn.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Richard M. Gillingham" <rmoodyg@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] custom aluminum panels
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:57:36 -0800
At 06:25 PM 11/27/2006, Jerrry BOYD wrote:
>Me too!  Been trying to find someone to fabricate and professionally
>label a new front panel for an amp.  Looks like this might do
>it.  Thanks for posting

Indeed.. the text is really nice, and you can draw boxes around
things, etc.  Engraved and paint filled.  20 years ago, I used to
send this stuff out to be photoengraved, and we had to make camera
ready artwork, it took forever, etc. Now, the NC mill just does the
engraving (sort of an industrial version of the "Things remembered"
stores at the mall).

By the way, the other really nice way to label panels is to print it
on a good quality color printer and laminate it with  polycarbonate
film about 10-30 mils thick that has a textured/frosted finish.  The
film is available with the adhesive, or you get what is essentially
wide double stick tape.  If you've seen the front of a Tek
oscilloscope made 10-15 years ago (like a 2465) that's what it looks
like.  You can also do LED backlights pretty easily.  You have them
machine a rectangular or round hole that's the size of the LED, glue
(or just push) it in, and then stick the front panel artwork over it.