[TowerTalk] Soldering RG213 to PL259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soldering RG213 to PL259
From: Garry <g.drummond@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:22:24 -0500
This may have been discussed previously and if so I apologize for
waisting space. I recently purchased a bag of 10 PL-259's from BuxComm.
These are silver/teflon with a gold center pin. I have been out of ham
radio for the last 16 years and haven't soldered any connectors since
before 1990. I used to cut the outer jacket to the proper length, tin
the braid then solder the braid through the 4 holes on the side then
solder the center conductor. Back then, most PL259's were made in the
USA and the area where the holes are was reduced in diameter so that the
braid made good mechanical contact and would solder well if good quality
cable was used.

With these newer connectors, I find the diameter of the connector is not
reduced in the area where the holes are so there is a gap between the
inside of the connector and the braid of tinned coax. You can't fold the
braid back over the outer insulation and get it that far in the
connector as the fit is too tight. I have seen examples where some are
soldering the braid to the outside of the PL259 but I like doing  it
from the inside as I used to do years ago.

Does anyone know of a way to work with these newer PL259's? I wonder if
all PL259's are made this way now?

73,
Garry - WR4R