Re: [TowerTalk] AB Chance anchor installation... How!?!

To: R Atkins <rusty_atkins@yahoo.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AB Chance anchor installation... How!?!
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:04:15 -0700
At 05:05 AM 7/16/2007, R Atkins wrote:
>First off, let me thank all of you for the responses these past few
>days about all facets of tower installation as well as a few bits
>and pieces I've needed to get the job done. Its amazing how
>responsive and helpful this list/"reflector" is. I've been so busy
>installing the tower that I haven't had time to touch the computer,
>but all your help is VERY much appreciated.
>

>Now,.. for the question.
>
>How in the world do you install those 8" diameter (model 816?)
>screw-in ground anchors?!?!?!

With a big hydraulically operated drive... Think giant portable drill
bolted to a truck.

>We've bent a 6' long pipe  and a 8' long pipe so badly that we could
>hardly remove them... and these anchors are only halfway in.

Which is why they use a machine to install them.

It takes a LOT of torque to drive them in, when the soil is hard.

Consider this.. a 5 HP hydraulic motor (which is about the size of a
softball) can push harder for longer than you can hanging on a big
piece of pipe. (Humans being a sort of 1/4HP driver)