Re: [TowerTalk] AB Chance anchor installation... How!?!

To: R Atkins <rusty_atkins@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AB Chance anchor installation... How!?!
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:21:16 -0700
At 07:58 PM 7/16/2007, you wrote:

>   Thought I mentioned this,.. maybe I didn't. I'm on the verge of
> exhaustion and not thinking real clearly. This installation is on a
> heavily wooded lot and on a steep slope. There is no way at all for
> any machine to get back to them (the anchors).
>
>In short, if it can't be lugged up a steep hill and between trees
>for 1/10th mile, it can't be used.
>
>So, where do I get the solid still bar?

I assume you're looking for steel? (Then again, you say you are in
some hills, so maybe it is a solid still bar.. is that one that plays
straight ahead rock and roll while you drink shine straight from the
condenser?)

Most metal suppliers can supply almost any size and shape with a
fairly nominal cutting fee. The steel will be cheap (you'll probably
have to buy a 20 foot stick, but even though, steel is cheap on a per
pound basis) and the cut fee is probably a buck or two per cut.  if
you can't find a retail supplier, One way is to call a place that
does structural iron work or even wrought iron fencing, and see if
they'll do it.

>Also, somebody mentioned an AB Chance contractor that used a
>hydraulic auger and one person (at least it sounded that way)
>installed them by hand.... Is this correct, and if so, how do I get
>ahold of a similar person in this area? I'm a VERY hands-on guy, but
>I will definitely pay somebody to twist these things in.

I've only seen the hand operated thing in a catalog, but the picture
looked like it has a sort of tripod (bipod) thing that supports it,
and probably provides the reaction torque against the ground, so it's
not YOU that provides the 4000 ft lb torque.