Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Regalvanize

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Regalvanize
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:50:59 -0700
At 01:32 PM 8/27/2007, john@kk9a.com wrote:
>  The company is
>claiming this is standard practice and allowed by ANSI.  I have used
>galvanizers before without incidence.  Has anyone else had similar
>experiences?  Does anyone know what the galvanizing specifications are and
>with is and is not acceptable?  Right now the company is reluctant to
>correct this problem.

Would that be ANSI/ASTM A 123/A123M-02?
{Standard Specification for Zinc (Hot-Dip Galvanized) Coatings on
Iron and Steel Products)

To be a bit of a smart-a, have them show you in the spec where it's
allowed. Oh, they don't have a copy of the spec there?  How can they
claim compliance, then...

But, since you're probably not dealing in a "thou shalt have
appropriate processes and artifacts to verify that processes have
been followed" sort of environment

The spec runs $35 from ANSI.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy
handy to quote from.. Maybe someone else can turn it up?  There's a
similar spec BS EN ISO 1461

In general, though, the spec's going to require that the metal be
completely covered with the zinc.  If they grind it off, they should
be doing the appropriate rework before giving it back to you.  I note
that the American Galvanzing Association website goes through some
pains to explain that there is no such thing as "cold galvanizing",
because the reaction between the iron and zinc can't happen at low
temperatures.  (http://www.galvanizeit.org/)

http://www.galvanizeit.org/resources/files/AGA%20PDFs/T_IPAF_01.pdf
is an illustrated guide to inspection and touch up,  including
repairs according to A780.