Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Regalvanize

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Regalvanize
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:12:28 -0700
At 01:32 PM 8/27/2007, john@kk9a.com wrote:
>  The company is
>claiming this is standard practice and allowed by ANSI.  I have used
>galvanizers before without incidence.  Has anyone else had similar
>experiences?  Does anyone know what the galvanizing specifications are and
>with is and is not acceptable?  Right now the company is reluctant to
>correct this problem.

Found a copy of the spec..
the spec says "smooth finish"
It says rework is allowed for not more than 1/2 of 1% of the surface
area or some number of square inches per ton.  There's several ways
of doing the rework (they're all in that document I linked), but in
any case, if the galvanizer claims they're doing the job to spec,
then they're on the hook to do the rework (all of it, not just the
grinding.. and, of course, as you pointed out, if they were careful
with the grinder, they wouldn't have taken off ALL the zinc.)

Jim, W6RMK