Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:15:54 -0700
I've never understood that comment either.  I fully agree that rebar or
anything made of steel will rust and the rust will propagate along the
rebar into the concrete, but copper doesn't do that.  Some people here
have previously expressed concerns that differential expansion and
contraction between copper and concrete would allow a microgap to form
between wire and concrete and allow water to penetrate to the attached
rebar or tower base, but that ignores the fact that there is already a
microgap between the tower base and the concrete and that concrete is
fundamentally porous to moisture anyway.

So why is it bad practice to bring a copper conductor out through the
concrete?  The copper ground wire for the Ufer ground of a house
typically comes out of the concrete footing underground.

73,
Dave  AB7E