Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:19:55 -0400 (EDT)

-----Original Message-----

20 linear feet of metal (of a particular size rebar or copper or alumninum) is
the code requirement.  I would think the standard tower base rebar probably
meets that standard.

>I, like you go the extra mile to make the shortest, most conductive path
>around the concrete.
>
>It seems like I read a paper on that subject when installing my tower
>and they were emphatic about keeping the lightning away from the
>concrete.

There are a lot of white papers out there that advocate various approaches, not
always with good backup other than
"seems like a good idea".  At risk of throwing gasoline on a fire.. contemplate
porcupines.

Also there is the problem of conductors coming out through the
>side of the concrete with is considered bad practice.

I can't see why you'd want to bring any conductor out the side, although if
it's above grade, it might be ok.  The concern is with being below grade in a
moist environment.

Jim