Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Ground Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Ground Question
From: "Richardson, Ed" <ERichardson@winnipeg.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:34:56 -0500
Thank you all for the responses, on and off the list. As expected there
are a lot of different ideas out there.

In summary, based on the comments here, I believe the best solution is
the following:

1.      Ensure all the rebar is bonded together to make sure it looks
like a solid conductor.
2.      Bond the rebar to the tower legs inside the concrete
3.      Above ground run a flat CU strap from each tower leg with at
least an 18" radius curve to a buried ground rod.
4.      A minimum of 3 ground rods should be installed around the tower,
spaced no closer than 8 feet apart
5.      Run as many radials from the ground rods as practical. Placing a
ground rod along each radial at 16' intervals.
6.      Install a ring, preferably using flat strap around the tower,
connecting all 3 (or more) radials.
7.      Pay attention to bonding of dissimilar metals
8.      Avoid sharp bends of any ground conductor.
9.      Avoid having any metallic conductors exposed or penetrating the
concrete below the surface.

I have my work cut out for me, concrete comes on Monday.

Thanks for the help and the bandwidth!

Ed

VE4EAR