Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:29:58 -0400
David,

I would venture to say there are more insulated, serial fed towers in
the air, than grounded
through the foundation amateur towers, by a fair margin.   But I
could be wrong, and it's totally
academic.

You are right that a good conductor through the concrete represents a
shunt path.    So long as it
has the current carrying capacity,  and isn't degraded by corrosion,
it's better than not.

I think, reading what you wrote, that you would agree that having
that shunt path OUTSIDE the
concrete is preferable.   We don't differ on the question of brute
force grounding.    But I believe
strongly .. STRONGLY ...  that the routing of the current path
through the concrete is equally
important.   i.e.  no right angles,  gentle bends,  lots of surface
area  from copper strap,  etc.

I've seen what corrosion happens with copper pipe in concrete, after
15 years.    All the heating pipes
in my VT house were run inside a slab, and not inside pvc conduit.
For the longest time, I wondered
why my basement floor was pleasantly warm in the winter, until I
realized we were leaking hot water.
And where the copper tube for the oil input came through the
foundation?   It, too, became leaky.

So, while I will accept arguments supporting in-concrete ground
systems, when they're first installed,
I will remain skeptical of their downstream value.   I want my
lightning protection grounds to be where
i can see them and maintain them, if required.

n2ea