Re: [TowerTalk] tower restrictions

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower restrictions
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 02:54:08 -0400
Kelly Johnson wrote:
> And what if you put up a tower without a permit and a bunch of
> neighbors complain until the city comes and tells you that your tower

This is confusing the issue of whether a permit is even available.
Here, the zoning allows ham towers to 100' with out engineering
requirements or a permit.  You only have to abide by the set back rules,
but you aren't going to get a permit unless it is necessary for
construction.  In the case of the township with no zoning you can build
pretty much what ever you want for structures, out buildings, towers,
... you name it, as long as it isn't prohibited by state law.

> is not permitted because it is an accessory structure and must conform
> with the regulations that cover other accessory structures OR they say
> that your amateur radio tower is a "telecommunication tower" (just
> like a cell phone tower) and you need a special use permit.  If the

As I said in an earlier post, ham towers are exempt up to 100 feet, but
even a building permit does not protect you from disgruntled neighbors.
> zoning ordinance does not explicitly allow for ham towers, then it is
> easy for the city to "creatively interpret" their zoning ordinance to
> say that your ham tower is covered by some other more general
> regulation like the regulations for "accessory structures".
>
> I know people put up towers without permits all the time and most of
> them get away with it.  I had a small one up even in the People's
> Republic of San Jose, Ca. for a couple of years, but it's a risk.  I
> was willing to take the risk when my tower only cost me $1000, but I
> wasn't willing to take the risk when I moved to a new city and put up
> a 55' crankup that cost me closer to $10,000 (including installation).

Counting concrete I have more than that in mine.
>  My tower wasn't up for 24 hours before the neighbor across the street
> called the city to complain and then the neighbor next door called my
> home and left a voice message saying "take that thing down".
And if they decide to push the issue they can make it a civil case.
They'd probably lose, but if enough of them dislike it the cost to the
ham can be pretty steep.  And if they lose you also end up with hostile
neighbors.
>   Without
> a permit, my goose would have been cooked.
Not necessarily unless permits are required.  As I said before, if they
are available or required it's common sense to get one.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)