Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjian Tower Orders

To: "Mike Fatchett W0MU" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, "mrlogs" <mrlogs@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjian Tower Orders
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:22:06 -0700
I respectfully disagree.  Amateur radio has made several people very, very
wealthy over the decades and the market today is larger than it's ever been,
globally.

Workflow management, arranging JITs with vendors and having them stock the
parts on their shelves, developing a flex force for assembly (all part timers:
when there's no work, they do other things), maintaining inventory of semi
finished goods that can be completed, tested and shipped within 5 days and so
forth is all S.O.P. for a good Ops guy.  This is what they're paid to manage.
A good one with connections can also arrange financing for all of that so most
materials are handled at no cost until they're shipped.  And yes, this works
for small companies as well as large ones.  I've had CIPs (consigned inventory
programs) at companies from huge to miniscule; this means all my raw material
inventory was consigned at no cost until used and shipped and then they're paid
for.  The suppliers *will* work with professionals on such programs, but not
with amateurs who haven't done it before.

Military/aerospace is quite different since even "COTS" stuff really isn't.
Everything is manufactured to contract and doesn't start until the contract is
received.  In most cases, if hardware ships sooner than 180 days ARO, the user
wouldn't know what to do with it yet because they're still waiting for other
parts, or software, or debugging, or something.  Different animal.

To me ham gear is no different than an automobile or a dishwasher.  When I need
one, I'll buy it and I expect delivery immediately or I'll simply go somewhere
else.

WB2WIK/6