Re: [TowerTalk] Concealed antenna issue

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concealed antenna issue
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 22:27:58 -0800
On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:51:11 -0800, Dave LaBat wrote:

>I can work the DX in the Pacific but not toward Europe.

Look at a map. Much of the path to the Pacific puts the reflections
over water. Not true to EU, and we're going over the Pole, where
the ionosphere is often not conducive to radio.

Don't blame too much of this on your antenna. Even big guns like
N6RO find it difficult to work EU on 160 and 80 (google his call to
see his antenna farm). I've got an 86 ft top-loaded vertical with
60 radials for 160, and dipoles at 100 ft for 80 and 40. Running
full legal power, I've worked EU six times in 2 years on 160 from
my QTH near San Francisco. I've heard EU about twice as many times
as that. 80M is better, but still no treat.

This summer, I rigged an 80M element to work above the same
radials. The two dipoles beat it by a good 10 dB to virtually every
QTH I tried. Called a 9M6 with the vertical (6,000 mile path). Not
even a QRZ? Called him with the dipole and worked him on the first
call, with no fill on my call.

>I have always thought the antenna is probably compromised by being
>right against the tree.

You're probably right, but I've never seen any science to support
that hypothesis.

>I have no way to pull it away from the tree, that would make it
>visible!

It does not need to be #12. #18 or #16 black wire is not very
visible. #14 uninsulated copper is going to be pretty invisible
after it's been outdoors for a year.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC
Santa Cruz, CA