[TowerTalk] Concealed antenna issue

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concealed antenna issue
From: "Dave LaBat" <labatd@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:51:11 -0800
Current situation is about 45 feet of 12 gauge wire run up a pine tree with
around 24 radials of various lengths through the yard, certainly not in any
pattern. The wire runs almost alongside the tree trunk. I use a SGC auto
tuner at the base. This system kind of works. I can work the DX in the
Pacific but not toward Europe. I have always thought the antenna is probably
compromised by being right against the tree. I have no way to pull it away
from the tree, that would make it visible!

I am  thinking of a 33 foot Zero five flagpole away from the trees. Radial
pattern won't be much better, still have to deal with a small backyard, pool
and lots of concrete.

I am trying to improve the performance on the low bands, especially for DX.
I am going to try to use a high powered auto tuner and up my output to
around 500 watts. Will probably use a loop for receiving.

I can probably sneak my MA80/40V onto the lot some night and see if that is
better than the tree.

What does the group think with regard to:

1) 80 meter perfromance of a 33 foot radiator. Any way to improve 80, other
than a 66 foot element (not happening, 33 feet is as tall as its going!)
2) Will this be an improvment over the "tree vertical" ?

Thanks all

Dave NT6AA