Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switch Needed

To: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switch Needed
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:30:51 -0800
RICHARD SOLOMON wrote:
> I need a remote antenna switch, what would folks recommend ?
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

What other requirements? (how many ports, environment, etc.)

I mean, what's to prevent someone recommending you have Igor, your
trusted assistant, standing out there in the rain with a giant knife
switch. You holler out the window: "switch to the 160 meter Yagi, Igor"
"Yes, master"
and the topband melee ensues.

It's a remote switch, after all.

More practically...on the low cost end.

We have a couple of the 4 position remote switches from MFJ at the JPL
radio club (W6VIO) station and they've been toiling away for at least 10
years.  They're probably 20 years old by now. Those are the ones that
send the control signal up the coax. W4EF and I were up at the antennas
some years ago and removed the covers because there was some problem,
but I seem to recall that it turned out the relays and stuff were fine,
it was something else.

I've got 5 of the 5 port Ameritron/MFJ switches (RCS-8V) in a portable
phased array setup, and they work ok, but if you drop them or bang them
around, sometimes the armature pops off the mounting pegs on the relay
frame.