Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions Solicited

To: Phil & Debbie Salas <dpsalas@tx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions Solicited
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:44:24 -0800
Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:
> I used an MFJ-259B for a long time (probably 10 years) and it served me
> well.  However, a couple of years ago I bought an Array Solutions AIM4170.
> This is a lab-grade instrument which really spoiled me.

Just triggered a nit pick hot button for me... "lab-grade"... what
EXACTLY does that mean?

To me, that means:
a) the uncertainty of the measurement is known and stated
b) the calibration of the instrument is stable, and given the
appropriate resources, can be done in a way that measurements are
traceable to a primary standard

It says NOTHING about the actual accuracy or precision. Just that it's
known and stated.

People use the term "lab grade" to mean all kinds of things
a) that it's high precision (whether or not it's accurate)
b) that it holds cal over wide environments (notwithstanding that most
labs are actually pretty benign environments)
c) that it has features lending itself to use in a lab, like robust
connectors that are replaceable

Let's be accurate..
Say.. Yep that 4170 is good to 1% or 5% or whatever it is.
Yep, that 4170 has high quality connectors that can take abuse.

Here's the deal.. do you see Agilent or Anritsu or Wiltron ever
advertise their gear as "lab-grade", even though clearly, they are (at
least based on every RF lab I've seen).. nope.. the only folks who
advertise lab grade are folks who are selling gear that *isn't*
regularly seen in professional lab environments.

Jim, W6RMK