Re: [TowerTalk] For Sale: PolyPhaser IS-3T1 12 Cond in lineprotector

To: WA3GIN <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] For Sale: PolyPhaser IS-3T1 12 Cond in lineprotector
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:18:00 -0700
WA3GIN wrote:
> Folks can go to TESSCO and purchase gas tube arrestors inexpensively. IT
> is relatively easy to determine the right unit for your application. I
> recently purchased  eight gas tubes to homebrew a rotor control
> protector. The price per gas tube was $1.70. A very low cost way to get
> reasonably good protection. I love the Polyphaser product line...just
> can't justify the cost!
>
> 73,
> dave
> wa3gin

gas tubes are nice, but if you're protecting something that has a low
damage threshold (like the inputs to most ICs), they're not the right
technology.

Something like a gas tube (to limit the max voltage to 50-100V, or
whatever), followed by a resistor (to limit current) and suitable low
capacitance diode clamps (to limit to the supply voltages) might work
better. Hopefully, that's what you're getting with a more expensive
transient protection device.

Fast data is a real challenge, because the C of the diodes limits the
bandwidth.  Choosing a different driver/receiver chip in the device to
be protected can help (because an onchip clamp is lower C than an
external devie)