Re: [TowerTalk] For Sale: PolyPhaser IS-3T1 12 Cond in line protector

To: "Steve Davis -Davis RF Co." <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] For Sale: PolyPhaser IS-3T1 12 Cond in line protector
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 08:12:40 -0700
Steve Davis -Davis RF Co. wrote:
> 12 conductor protection, T1, data line protector, multi strike, 36,000 Amps.
> RS232/422.  6 twisted pair (or single conductors up to 12 conductors).  Cast
> alum enclosure and all hardware SS. Surface mount right angle brackets (4).
> Specs, picture and drawing:
> http://www.polyphaser.com/productdetail.aspx?item=IS-3T1
>    Excellent condition.  Original price:
> $ 343.00 .   Selling now:  $ 195.00 plus shipping, insur, tracking.   This
> is from my personal ham equipment and I will guaranty it works.  Contact me
> off TT please.
>   73,  Steve,  K1PEK

Something to be aware of when using such devices (not directed at Steve
here, but because I happen to be writing up something on these for
another reason, and this reminded me of it)

There's 4 basic schemes used for protection inside this kind of box
(oddly, PP doesn't say which in their datasheet, for this particular
device).. a gas tube, a back to back zener diode, a MOV, or a series L,
shunt C sort of arrangement.

The MOV style wears out. Everytime a transient comes down the line, the
MOV dies a little bit. (that's what leads to those plug strip fires)

All of the data protectors have a voltage rating, which can bite you if
you're not careful.  Hooking a 24VAC relay control on a 7V telecom
protector will probably cook the protector (Yes.. I should have found
the datasheet before hooking it up.)  Watch out for RMS vs Peak voltage
  too, especialy if you're using a device that is usually for DC
applications (telecom)

The PP IS series has been replaced by the PP IX series.  I don't know
all the differences, but the IX (for some part numbers) is UL listed, so
if you're worried about NEC compliance, check first. None of the usual
ham coax devices from PP is UL listed, so they can't serve as your
"listed antenna discharge unit" for instance.

Jim, W6RMK