Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering 66-Foot Vertical?

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering 66-Foot Vertical?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:52:32 -0700
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>> There's a certain non-zero time involved in that finding out what
>> diameters are available, figuring out what to get, etc. (unless you
>> have a cookbook list from the ARRL handbook or an article that you can
>> just send them for a quote)
>>
> For the quote and you will be charged for the time most likely..."I need
> enough 6 or 8' sections of Alunimum tube  to build a 66' long pole. the
> sections need to easily telescope, but can be clamped using 3" slotted
> ends. I can start with anything from 2 to 2 1/2 or 3". the sections
> should have a 1'. What do I need?  If need be I can take standard
> lengths, cut them and use the excess"  I was told they charge by the
> foot whether I use a full length or they cut it to length when I needed
> some a few years back, which was a surprise.

That's the usual thing (charging by actual length).. most metal places
around here actually charge by the pound, plus a "per cut" fee (which
can be quite low.. like $1/cut).. kind of depends on what product
they're selling too (for instance, decorative railings vs structural
materials).  If you're buying a whole stack of the same item, the same
length, they'll waive the cut fee.