Re: [TowerTalk] For Sale: PolyPhaser IS-3T1 12 Cond in line protector

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] For Sale: PolyPhaser IS-3T1 12 Cond in line protector
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:00:57 -0400

jimlux wrote:
> Steve Davis -Davis RF Co. wrote:
>
>> 12 conductor protection, T1, data line protector, multi strike, 36,000 Amps.
>> RS232/422.  6 twisted pair (or single conductors up to 12 conductors).  Cast
>> alum enclosure and all hardware SS. Surface mount right angle brackets (4).
>> Specs, picture and drawing:
>> http://www.polyphaser.com/productdetail.aspx?item=IS-3T1
>>    Excellent condition.  Original price:
>> $ 343.00 .   Selling now:  $ 195.00 plus shipping, insur, tracking.   This
>> is from my personal ham equipment and I will guaranty it works.  Contact me
>> off TT please.
>>   73,  Steve,  K1PEK
>>

> Something to be aware of when using such devices (not directed at Steve
> here, but because I happen to be writing up something on these for
> another reason, and this reminded me of it)
>
> There's 4 basic schemes used for protection inside this kind of box
> (oddly, PP doesn't say which in their datasheet, for this particular
> device).. a gas tube, a back to back zener diode, a MOV, or a series L,
> shunt C sort of arrangement.

Jim has some very good advise here.

I don't know if you've seen one, but GE used to have a fairly good size
Red book on the care and feeding of MOVs. It was about the size of QST
but 2 to 3 times as thick and heavier paper. It contained the history,
construction, and theory of MOVs along with how to calculate what
ratings to use, how to use them, and even some circuits.

This would have been back about the time the MOVs first came out on the
market. I had one and you are welcome to it...*IF* I can find it as I
have no idea as to its present location.

73

Roger (K8RI)