Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in water

To: Jon <w4zw@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in water
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:22:31 -0700
Jon,

I am convinced you are correct. If I am not mistaken when Alex 4L5A/D4B
was contesting from Cape Verde, he ran a horizontal wire yagi
(inverted-V elements) on 160 meters from a bluff overlooking the
Atlantic ocean. I remember sending him an email congratulating him on
having an S9 +20dB signal in Southern California. He replied that his
effort was disappointing since his amplifier had broken and he was only
running 100 watts. I nearly fell out of my chair after reading this. I
always got the feeling that Alex was an above board guy, so that when he
said that he was running 100 watts, he meant it.

I think W7EJ/CN2R runs a rotatable dipole on 160 at 150' from his
oceanside location with similarly impressive results. Then there was
ZL8R on Kermadec with the dipoles high in the tall trees on a bluff
overlooking the ocean. They were S9+ in Southern California on 160  just
running 100 watts.  I know this is anecdotal, but  other than corrosion,
I don't think having an HF antenna close to an ocean beach is ever a bad
thing.

73, Mike W4EF.........