Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in water

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in water
From: Richard Hill <rehill@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:54:30 -0400 (EDT)
Conductivity:
metals (copper etc)          30-70 * 1 000 000 Siemans per square meter
Sea water                    5 Siemans per square meter
Saline water                 0.4 Siemans per square meter
Drinking water               0.05-0.000 5 Siemans per square meter
Deionized water in air       0.000 005 Siemans per square meter

Dry salt crystals do not conduct well between crystals. I've wondered how well
a desert playa lake bed might do for RF transfer.  The surface may be quite
dry, but soils may be saturated just an inch below.  There is a progression of
ions in playa lake beds.  The lighter alkaline elements blow off in the summer
and lakes go from being alkaline towards becoming sodium chloride dominated.

Rich
NU6T