Re: [TowerTalk] 75/80 vertical

To: "Gregg Seidl" <k9kl@centurytel.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75/80 vertical
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 07:43:04 -0500
Gregg,
I am sure you will get all kinds of technical advice but I will offer some
anecdotal stuff.

Not too many years ago a local radio station gave the college ham club a bunch
of Rohn 25G that had been their antenna for the taking down.  The club used
what they needed and sold off the rest.  I got some.  Every piece has a worm
screw tightened band clamp (hose clamp) on each leg and both ends. Under each
was the remnants of the copper braid, which appeared to be 1/4" wide.  These
were obviously where some engineer thought it necessary to electrically jumper
each leg at every joint.  Given that Rohn is galvanized and galvanization is
not the greatest at getting a good electrical connection, I say the engineer
had a decent idea.  I don't know if I would do EVERY leg but I would do at
least one all the way up.  Cheap insurance to make sure you have a solid
connection.

- my opinion and worth what you paid for it  -

Clint - W5CPT