Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 13:48:33 -0700
On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 15:33:24 -0500, K4SAV wrote:

>So I'm wondering if there is some magic on 160 that says a vertical get
>a special advantage, and what the heck is it?

Jerry,

There is definitely some sort of propagation advantage for vertically
polarized signals on 160M during daylight hours and for at least an hour
or two after sunset. The 160M contests begin at 2PM local time on the west
coast (at least 2.5 hrs before sunset), and I can routinely work the
stations with better antennas out to 800+ miles with my vertical. On the
100 ft high dipole, I don't even get a QRZ? I don't know the propagation
mechanism, but I've heard it a lot.

Dunno about before/after sunrise -- if I'm on the air then, I'm working
VK/ZL/JA, not USA, and so is anyone else who's there.

73,

Jim Brown