Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 18:16:58 -0500
G3TXQ wrote: Are we sure we're looking at the EZNEC results carefully
enough.
If I compare a 160m half-wave at 300ft with a ground-mounted
quarter-wave vertical, over average ground, the vertical has the
advantage at take-off angles under 10 degrees by as much as 8dB.

Well Steve it's obvious one of us is not looking close enough.  I can't
get that.   Are you sure you're not using a perfect ground for the
vertical?  When I said no near field ground loss, that implies a Mininec
ground.

Here is some data.  Tell me which you think is wrong.

A half wave dipole at 300 ft (260 ft long), 1.84 MHz, average ground.
Elevation  Gain
26 deg  __ 8.3
15 deg  __ 6.46
10 deg  __ 3.77
 5 deg  __  -1.7

Quarter wave vertical over Mininec ground and no added near field ground
loss (which is guaranteed to be better than any real vertical), 128 ft
tall, 5 inches diameter.
Elevation  Gain
26 deg __ 1.2
15 deg __ 0.81