Re: [TowerTalk] Coax soldering

To: richard@karlquist.com, W1JCW@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax soldering
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:01:22 EDT
Rick has the answer. Fishing the center conductor through the opening in
the shield is easier if you provide a few inches of extra length and push the
 shield up the coax so it increases diameter a bit.

The crimp terminals are ok but I personally would solder them to the coax
after crimping for long term reliability. If you use ring terminals, they
can be  bent with long nose pliers to fit around the open wire conductors and
then  soldered to the open wire conductors.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/21/2009 4:33:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
richard@karlquist.com writes:

W1JCW  wrote:

> Hi guys -
>
> What is your preferred way to  solder an open wire feeder on say RG8 or
> RG213 ?
>
> I  know some cut the brand down the middle, solder it at the base and
work
> their way to the tip.
> Some twist it then solder or  flatting it.
>
> I am looking to try something  new.
>
> Suggestions ?
>
> 73-
> W1JCW
>  John

To answer the original question about lead dress on the  coax:

"Something new" (to you) is to use tweezers to displace the  braid
near the "base" (ie away from the end) such that a hole is  formed
in the braid.  This is done without cutting.  Then,  needlenose
pliers are used to grab the dielectric and yank it through  the
hole.  Sounds tricky, but I've done it dozens of times.  For  smaller
coax (up to RG58) they have a tool called a "lead extractor"  that
makes this easier.   See:

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/product-group.aspx?id=723

This  tool is too small for RG8, but gives you the idea of what you
want to do by  hand.

The other thing to do is install crimp terminals on the  braid
and center conductor so that you are not soldering to the  coax.

Rick  N6RK