Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 91, Issue 84 SURGE Protection Sprc

To: Mike Fatchett <mike@mallardcove.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 91, Issue 84 SURGE Protection Sprcial
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:56:02 -0700
Mike Fatchett wrote:
> I put a similar device on my meter here in Montana.  I was losing
> electronics fairly regularly, mostly cheap cordless phones.  No problems
> since and there is a guarantee with coverage limits.
>
> I think I was charged a flat fee for the device of around $120.00.  Why
> pay for a monthly fee.  That seems shady to me. Call your power company
> and ask them what they recommend.  The power company will probably want
> to install it since they get touchy about people messing with the meters.

the monthly fee is a reasonable way to go (assuming it's not unreasonable)..

The consumer's not out the capital investment. (several hundred bucks
for a good one including the installaton)
The meter reader can check the status once a month, and if it fails,
they can come out and replace it
It can be regularly replaced (if it has MOVs in it, they gradually die,
each time they take a hit) on a decent schedule.

Your point about the utility being the one who fools with the meter is a
good one.  TYpically, if the seal is broken, they get kind of antsy
about possible "theft of services"