Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp tool for cable ends

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp tool for cable ends
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:58:54 -0500

On 12/28/2010 7:52 PM, Dan Evans wrote:
> I am considering taking the plunge and buying my first crimp tool to
> install coax connectors.  Currently I solder all of my connectors, but
> this is a slow process and from what I have read crimp connections are
> now just as good, if not better.

I've been using crimp connectors *almost* exclusively for several years
now and avoid solder connectors "when I can".  With a good stripping
tool along with the crimper you can install (with practice) and N or UHF
connector in less than a minute. There is a bit of a learning curve.
> I normally use LMR400, RG8, or RG8X cable, and I will be installing
> PL-259's and N connectors.
If lucky, you may find a tool that uses interchangeable dies. One size
fits LMR-400 and basically all RG-8 size cables. RG-8X and RG-6/59 will
use a smaller set of dies. I believe there is a tool advertised in QST
that has dies for both.  Depending on the connectors you may need either
a 2 blade or 3 blade stripper.

I'd start by checking with Steve Davis  at Davis RF
http://www.davisrf.com/ and see what what he has available.  Give them a
call

Quality strippers and crimpers can cover a relatively wide range in
price.  Good strippers are great, but mediocre ones are a royal pain and
waste of money.

73

Roger (K8RI)