Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp tool for cable ends

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp tool for cable ends
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:57:59 -0500
>I am considering taking the plunge and buying my first crimp tool to
> install coax connectors.

Dan,

My vote is for the RF Industries RFA-4005 crimp set:

http://www.rfcoaxconnectors.com/Downloads/Home/Tool_Crimpers.pdf

Available for USD $99.00 from RFParts:

http://www.rfparts.com/coax_accessories.html

Be careful when comparing crimp sets.  Nearly all the Asian ratcheting
crimper devices are designed the same and are of approximately the same
quality.  The difference is with the dies.  I've seen die quality range from
excellent to unusable.

On a related topic, I prefer 2/3-level "finger spin" cable strippers, also
made by RF Industries.  Paladin Tools CST series is also excellent.  I've
not had much success with the hand rotary preset cable strippers.

Finally, invest in a good set of cable cutters.  Mine are made by
ChannelLock and were purchased at Home Depot.  Unlike a pair of diagonal
cutters or electrician's pliers, a cable cutter will keep the cable from
crushing when the cut is made.  They also form a clean end.

Here's a really good article to get your started.  Written by Mike Higgins,
K6AER:

http://www.eham.net/articles/19257

Paul, W9AC