Re: [TowerTalk] Example of typical gov waste

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Example of typical gov waste
From: "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:09:46 -0700
>> The reasoning behind demilitarizing a portable tower is beyond
comprehension, but it's probably part of the huge batch of regulations that
have been heaped on us within the past few years.

REPLY:
I've been bidding for decades on various surplus property, and after seeing
that a fantastic HF antenna had to be mutilated, I decided to find out why.
After many phone calls (this is many years ago, way before 9/11), I finally
reached the gentleman who decided this item was a military munitions list
item. This is before GovLiquidation existed when the government was
disposing of its surplus through its own agency, DRMS the Defense
Reutilization and Marketing Service. It all had to do with a 60 Minutes
piece where some guy in the Midwest had purchased missile parts and was
stupid enough to be bragging about it to the sensationalist reporter.
Because of perceived public pressure, the government went way overboard and
started declaring ridiculous things as military munitions list items. Of
course Homeland Security has now made it even worse; almost every piece of
test equipment requires an EUC which is an End Use Certificate.