Re: [TowerTalk] Example of typical gov waste

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Example of typical gov waste
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:57:24 -0400
On 9/11/2012 2:00 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 9/11/2012 10:14 AM, Doug Ronald wrote:
Here's your wonderful government in action.

No, it's NOT our government. It's a company that BOUGHT stuff from the
government and is reselling it.  Our government appears to have done
exactly what you wanted it to do -- it sold off what it didn't need,
this company was paying attention, and bought it.  We weren't paying
attention, and missed the opportunity. :)

Yes it is as they stipulated the property be de milled and I can see no reason for that.

As for the contractor, There is a "Surplus Property Bidder's List" that I was on for years just like they are. You bid on property in lots.

The rules governing disposition of military property were and probably still are set by congress, or direction of congress to the military.

The reasoning behind demilitarizing a portable tower is beyond comprehension, but it's probably part of the huge batch of regulations that have been heaped on us within the past few years.

I sold and repaired ham equipment and firearms back then. It took one day to get the FFL and the MI tax license. It cost me $10 a year and the total record keeping per year probably took 5 to 10 hours. Now it's a stack of records, huge stack of regulations, and hundreds of hours. Getting all the paperwork to start that same business would be a PITA.

Back in the early 70s a lot/batch of 5 P-51s went for $7,000 or $7,500 each. They were not only airworthy, the tanks were full as well. The winner just had to go down and fly them home on ferry permits.(still easy to get from the FAA as I used one just a couple years ago) Getting them airworthy for a civilian airworthiness certificate was a bit more complicated. An aviation mechanic who lived about 15 miles West of me ended up getting two (not from that auction), got them licensed, sold one, and kept the other for play. He probably had about 20 grand in the two of them and got 100 grand for the one he sold. Now days they would be worth about 1.5 million each with civilian airworthiness certificates.

Of course, back then $7,500 was almost a year's pay.
Even M-1s were readily available through the civilian marksmanship program and still are on a limited basis. Our current glorious leader refused a huge catch of M-1s from Australia in the last year or so.

Another point about all of this. With all the pressure on OUR government
to slash the debt, no departments have the staff to be selling stuff
individually to buyers,

It doesn't and didn't work that way. All they did was provide a list of "lots" to be disposed of to a military agency. Material was "where is, as is". Usually a couple of days or just a day was set aside for viewing. It was up to the winner to pick it up and transport it on schedule. As for non paying bidders? Deposits were required. I was part of the "Surplus Bidder's Program" from about 62 through the early 70's. A weeks lists averaged a couple inches thick, but they ranged from none to a stack well over 3 inches thick.

 they need to have someone step up and take
EVERYTHING in a given lot.  FWIW, virtually all large and medium-sized
businesses operate in the same manner.

Businesses, at least the ones I worked for, did so because of liability. The chemical industry disposes of very little that will end up available to the public.

A lot of *stuff* was disposed of as hazardous material just because of what might have been in it, or run through it even after a thorough cleaning. Get a batch of computers? They'd be outdated and no hard drives. ALL hard drives were reformatted via the sledgehammer program. So, in the end they really weren't worth much at all. Last I knew they switched to a contract provider with all computers configured the same way with the same programs and they were still using XP Pro.

It did what they wanted, there was a lot of custom software, they had to interface with other systems, and they had many thousands of them around the world. They won't update those systems until they have to because you are looking at an overall cost of around 7 to 10 million just to update the OS, let alone the custom stuff.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73, Jim K9YC