Re: [TowerTalk] Example of typical gov waste

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Example of typical gov waste
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:49:14 -0700
On 9/11/12 11:12 AM, Doug Ronald wrote:
Not true. GovLiquidation is a contractor to the government and by requiring
mutilation to the extent that the towers cannot be used as originally
intended, they are following the government's mandate to waste them.
GovLiquidation knows they could sell them individually and make more money
(they get a percentage of the sale price). These have not been put up for
sale before. I bid on junk at this site frequently and I always watch for
antennas, receivers, towers (etc.). They already have the staff to take the
photos, and post the description which if you have ever visited one of the
depots, is just a handful of people. The rest is web-based software.

ANd do they have the engineering staff to assure the safety of the towers? THey may not want the liability.

A similar problem arises with surplus HV gear that may or may not contain PCB residue. The sticky liability that attaches to them means that utilities will dispose of them only to a certified hazardous waste handler. The last thing they want is some individual rolling it off the back of their pickup, spilling old askarel, and creating a mini-superfund site, which the utility would then potentially be liable for.