Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:58:58 -0400
On 9/17/2012 11:33 AM, Frank wrote:
I'm still an amatuer with 60 foot tower and 4 element beam located in a
secluded valley.

Your set up sounds professional.  You have more steel in the air than my
zoning laws would allow.

The theory:  An overhead charge moves along through or with the clouds.
An opposite charge moves along on the ground. The charged area on the ground maybe hundreds of yards across. Towers, trees, and power lines provide vertical extensions to this charge. The static does not just build up on the tower or antenna, that is only an extension, and/or connection to a much larger charge.

Because the tower is part of a charged area the static usually does not build up "on the tower" which makes it quite different than precipitation static building on an ungrounded tower. Snow on a cold and windy day can turn the ungrounded vertical or tower into one whale of a Van De Graaff Generator with startling results at the other end of the coax that could put the most powerful ignition system to shame.

The tallest object might be the most likely to take a hit, but it is only a tiny bit closer to the overhead charge than the surface. So it's not good to go against the odds, but those same odds come with no guarantee.

The one predictable thing about lightning is its unpredictability.

It was 130 feet to the top antennas in http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm
which I've shown many times.  I've also said that the tower and antennas
took 17 visually verified hits the first 6 years it was up.
It has taken none the last 4 that anyone has seen.

On several occasions nature must have had poor aim as a stroke completely ignored the tower and hit a power pole just to the North and East out by the road. That strike was almost at a 45 degree angle to the top antennas. It wiped out a bunch of stuff in their house including the transformer on the pole IIRC. It also hit a young spruce tree about 100 feet to the East of the road with largest piece being about 3' long. There have been other "close ones" that did not hit the tower.

73

Roger (K8RI)

No wonder you got hit.  You have my sympathy and envy.

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

I assume you don't live in the lightning capitol of North America,
central FL.  I understand very well about lightning and static build
up as do others who have posted here.  I have three 199.99 footers as
well as  several other smaller ones.  Unless you live in an area of
little t-storm  activity you have been very lucky.  Having a lightning
hit your tower is  not if, but when.

I have spoken to several EEs who work at the local surge protection
mfg company and since I have followed their advice I have had no
damage even though  the towers have been hit over the summer.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS

In a message dated 9/17/2012 2:53:22 P.M. Coordinated Universal Time,