Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:14:35 -0400
How tall is your tower?

Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg
from [Frank]    [Permanent Link][Original]
To:     Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
From:    Frank <frankkamp@att.net>
Date:    Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:52:57 -0500

Nope, never been hit by lightning in over 30 years of hamming. Evidently
you have had that misfortune.

Ever wonder if there might be something you don't understand about
static build-up?

My tower is grounded by virtue of the tower leg bottoms stuck in sand
and dirt below the concrete. I don't need any additional grounding.

The tower acts like a big lightning rod. Contrary to popular belief,
lightning rods don't attract lightning, they dissipate static charge. At
least mine seems to work that way. Your milage may differ.

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

You ever take a lightning hit? I have several times and it was
uh....exciting. Towers were extensively grounded but not to a common
ground with the house. Three tower legs are not an extensive ground and
will not dissapate a direct hit and will likely make a beeline to your
shack on the coax to finish the job on its way to your home grounding
system through the house. You are living on borrowed time with that
attitude. Extensive grounding is your best friend and the insurance
company's.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS