Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:04:56 -0700
On 9/17/2012 7:52 AM, Frank wrote:
Nope, never been hit by lightning in over 30 years of hamming. Evidently you have had that misfortune.

You've been lucky. It should also be pointed out that lightning activity varies widely (a couple of orders of magnitude) with geography. Here in coastal California, there's FAR less than in most parts of the US, but I've still taken an indirect hit (to something nearby, not me), and it was before I had a tower up. Years ago, I took an indirect hit in Chicago that took out the microprocessor in a CD player. No visible damage to anything. I wasn't on the air in those years, and the voltage/current was probably induced on stereo hookup cables.

73, Jim K9YC