Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Recommendation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Recommendation
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:16:15 -0700

I also have a pair of Optibeam antennas (OB16-3 and OB2-40) that have been great. They perform exactly as specified with no extra tuning, and they have held up to the horrendous wind gusts that regularly show up at my hillside QTH. I can count on clear sky mid-day wind gusts in excess of 70 mph every ten minutes most days from early April to mid-May, and gusts in the 80's and 90's are not rare. The highest I've measured exceeded 99.9 mph ... the limit of my recording system.

I do have some reservations about the versions that include the WARC bands, though. The four band antennas like the OB12-4 and 17-4 are tanks that will stand up to just about anything nature throws at them, but the antennas like the OB13-6 and OB18-6 have "piggy-back" elements where the elements for two bands are supported by the element of a third band. That puts a lot of extra weight and (more importantly) wind drag on a single element. The only pictures of storm-damaged Optbeam antennas I've ever seen were of that kind of construction.

Other than that, I honestly can't see how you could go wrong with an Optibeam if you can afford them.

73,
Dave   AB7E