Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC antenna modeling forum has been created onYahoo

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC antenna modeling forum has been created onYahoo
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:05:39 -0800
On 2/25/2013 8:08 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:

The Cartesian coordinate method of establishing an antenna environment is not needed to understand antenna concepts, but at the moment, it's needed to understand NEC modeling. It's only an input method used to compute distances. There's no reason why those coordinates could not be generated quickly in an algorithm within a wizard application.

Gee -- I learned XYZ coordinates in high school in West Virginia 55 years ago. Is our educational system so bad that it's lo longer being taught?

The doc for EZNEC does not teach antenna theory. It assumes that the user has already done that from standard textbooks. A limited version of EZNEC comes on the CD with the ARRL Antenna Book, along with a dozen or so example antennas, and there's a short tutorial to go along with them. That simple version of EZNEC is entirely adequate for the study of simple antennas and modeling. If you want to model more complex antennas, you need a more capable version, and those versions are not free.

I've chatted briefly a few times with W7EL at Dayton, and while he seems to be a nice guy, he seems to have zero interest in adding any new features to EZNEC.

73, Jim K9YC