Re: [TowerTalk] misaligned vertical towers

To: k7awbgoog@gmail.com,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] misaligned vertical towers
From: Missouri Guy <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 01:59:49 +0000
Hi Steve,

The best way to check tower vertical aligment is with
a surveyer's transit level that is properly set up.

Another way is to hold up a plumb bob with a string,
arm extended.  (Yeah, it's hard to hold it steady, but
maybe there's something you could use to hold the
string-bob steady.)  Sight along the string to the tower.
Once "straight on" and then take the next sighting at 90 degrees
from that.  It will be quite obvious which tower (or both) is grossly
not vertical, out of alignment, etc.

Again, the best way is with a transit and you'll be
able to check deviation right down to a fraction of an
inch with the telescopic sight and cross-hairs.
Don't have one?  Get one, even if it's a class of level called a
"Dumpy Level".  Also, you'll need a sturdy tripod.

BTW, the formula for maximum allowable deviation between guy points is
h/360 *or* W/20, whichever is less.  h=length between guys on a tower,
W=the width across the face of a tower section.

The maximum overall deviation (of the entire tower), and true vertical,
bottom to top is H/360.  H=total height of the tower.

Ref:  Bell System Practices, Outside Plant Engineering, addendum
AG25.300  Issue 2.  "Maintenance of Antenna Supporting Structures".

The Reference states that the W/20 formula doesn't apply to "System
Standard Towers" (I'm *guessing* the "Standard Towers" are towers that
are
generally self supporting and tapered.)

About tensioning...Equal tensioning does NOT guarantee a vertical or
perfectly
aligned tower!!!

73,
Charlie, N0TT