[TowerTalk] LMR degradation

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR degradation
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:42:53 -0700 (PDT)
Today I discovered that I have had environmental ingress beneath the outer
jacket of some ~8 year old LMR-400. What I saw was a white powder like
substance between the woven shield and the foil. Also, the foam dielectric had
become hard as a rock. The length of hardening appeared to be on par with what
I have seen in 213 type coaxial cables with regard to the funky green goo that
was once the dielectric. I have other LMR cables of similar age and it is
assumed in like condition. I have the stock to make up new cables and will do
so. While I haven't noticed a change in their performance, perhaps because of
the slow degradation process, I wonder just how bad they really are. Besides
weatherproofing issues, any comments?

73,
Jim W5QM